The Dining Club
One of the ways we like to relax, enjoy ourselves and stay sane, exploring the restaurants of London.
November 2013 Update
In Düsseldorf… an excellent Italian restaurant in the Altstadt, ‘Da Primo’, at Schneider-Wibbel-Gasse 5-7, 40213 Düsseldorf, where the fish platter looks like this:
October 2013 Update
Barans, Turkish restaurant in Golders Green. Try the mixed grill and the delicious cigar-shaped Börek starter.
July 2013 Update
Blue Boar Smokehouse, Tothill Street, SW1. Would recommend it (though not necessarily to vegetarians).
Recommended for the décor and the tradition, but not the food – the famous Criterion restaurant at Piccadilly Circus.
April 2013 Update
Cafe East. Vietnamese, at Surrey Quays. Seemed authentic, some delicious dishes.
February 2013 Update
On a cold Friday evening in February… to Olivo, near Victoria (spotted by Nick and myself while walking past there one day). The food is Sardinian, and is excellent. I enjoyed a delicious calamari starter, a beautifully tender coda di bue (oxtail braised in red wine with polenta) and a sebada (cheese fritter glazed in honey) dessert. Wine and coffee also terrific, as was the service. About £70 each for a major blow-out and we all thought it was well worth it. Olivo is highly recommended. Here’s the calamari:
On Saturday 17th November, Nick, Laura, Stanley, Meekee and Bill wandered through Whiteleys shopping centre in Bayswater (the building that was London’s first department store) to Le Café Anglais on the second floor. The chef is Rowley Leigh, who does a recipe in the FT on a Saturday. Lots of game and fish, which we enjoyed. Wouldn’t say outstanding, but very good. Wine was nice, service was good (maybe a bit inexperienced), and the environment very pleasant. Recommended.
Next Dining Club meeting: after Easter I think due to holidays, family weddings and so on. Bill and Stanley will probably assemble the breakfast club for a Full English in Wetherspoons in Wimbledon before then.
Past Dining Club highlights
- Olivo, Eccleston Street, SW1
- Cafe Anglais, Porchester Gardens, W2
- The Phoenix Palace, Glentworth Street, NW1
- The Green Cottage, Finchley Road, NW3
- St John, St John Street, EC1M
- Moro, Exmouth Market, EC1R
- China City, Leicester Street (off Leicester Square), WC2H
- Café Japan, Finchley Road, Golders Green, NW11
- Le Troisième, Panton Street, SW1Y
- Mirch Masala, Upper Tooting Road, Tooting, SW17
- Gaucho, Swallow Street, off Piccadilly Circus, W1B
- Fish Works, Swallow Street, off Piccadilly Circus, W1B